Friday, April 18, 2008

The Downtown System

I would save this for a Monday post, but I've been doing a ton of research that I'd like to present next week on station densities for the three transit districts, so I'm dropping this today. I've avoided fleshing out my ideas for the Downtown system because I felt I was not as familiar with the area and geographically it seemed to pose great challenges. But while I still would like to drive around and check some areas out, drawing upon maps and my experiences in the neighborhoods, I think I figured out how these areas orbit around downtown.



The most intriguing discovery was Cyprus Park, which turned out to be the key to connecting Downtown to Glendale and Eagle Rock. There is a rail right of way along the river and a lot of industrial land surrounded by relatively high-density housing. My imagination ran wild with visions of pedestrian bridges across a revitalized river and apartment buildings adjacent to the light rail tracks. Where's Cher when I need her to slap me?

Anyway, the Downtown system remains basically the same except I've extended three lines through Union Station to northern destinations. The Western Avenue line serving Southeast LA now goes to Glendale via Cyprus Park. The Expo serves Eagle Rock via Cyprus Park. And finally, the Blue Line goes to Hollywood via Echo Park and Silver Lake.



Considering the number of lines passing through it, design of the Downtown Regional Connector would need to be be beefed up considerably. Also, the transition from 1st Street to Alameda might present even more of a challenge than already imagined. The DRC would have four portals, one for each direction. Boyle Heights & East LA would be served by the East Portal; Glendale, Eagle Rock, and Pasadena by the North Portal; Hollywood, Wilshire, and the Westside by the West Portal; and USC, South LA, the Westside, and Long Beach by the South Portal.

There could definitely be a northeastern extension to Alhambra, but for the time being I have no idea what route or what portal would be appropriate for reaching it.

1 comment:

Dan Wentzel said...

Amazing stuff here! Just amazing.