Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Orange Line (Revised)



I had intended for the Orange Line to be a heavy rail subway and not a mixed grade light rail as I detailed in my previous post, but I was concerned about the feasibility of a subway from Glendale to Pasadena. Unfortunately light-rail would not be able to be linked up to the Red Line or utilize the existing tunnel under Hollywood Boulevard and Runyon Canyon. Therefore, I decided to rework the Orange line.

The connection between Glendale and Pasadena will be a separate light-rail line since light-rail works so well through that corridor and such a line could easily connect with the Gold Line at the Lake Avenue station. This would free up the Orange Line to serve Burbank via Glendale, utilizing the surface rail right-of-way along the San Fernando roughly between Broadway and Western.

Because the Orange Line would serve Burbank through Glendale rather than North Hollywood, the existing Orange BRT line could be extended (after being rechristened to avoid confusion, of course) to connect Burbank from the west. (Not shown on diagram)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reconnecting America is holding a Streetcar Workshop in Los Angeles, and we're hoping to send you additional information about the workshop for you to post on your blog. The workshop will bring in about 24 guest speakers to discuss the feasibility of Streetcars in Downtown Los Angeles and several other Southern California cities such as Irvine, Longbeach, Pasadena -to name a few. Please contact info@reconnectingamerica.org for additional information.